As a Papa Pal, you can earn up to $15 an hour assisting the elderly who are self-isolating during the pandemic.
The Penny Hoarder spoke with CEO and founder Andrew Parker about his company’s Papa Pal side gigs. Papa launched in 2016 with a mission to combat loneliness and isolation among older adults. As many seniors remain sheltered at home due to the coronavirus, Papa’s mission is more relevant than ever.
Parker unveiled some new changes to meet the increase in demand. While the company operates in dozens of states physically, Parker said the part-time gigs are now available remotely, nationwide.
He also said the company is waiving the education requirements. Previously, Papa Pals had to be college students or recent graduates.
As a Papa Pal, you will:
- Talk with older folks via telephone or video conferencing to build rapport and companionship.
- Help them troubleshoot technology.
- Coordinate with health insurance companies to ensure that Papa members are utilizing their health benefits during COVID-19, especially telemedicine.
- Run errands on behalf of members who are sheltering in place, including contactless grocery and medicine deliveries. (These services are available locally in one of the 25 states Papa operates in).
Requirements for the positions include:
- Availability during at least four weekdays.
- A great personality.
- Tech savviness.
- A valid ID (driver’s license only required for on-site visits).
- A valid car insurance policy (for on-site visits).
During the hiring process, you will have to review a Papa handbook and instructional videos, pass a criminal background check (and a drug test in certain states) and submit photos of your vehicles used for on-site visits.
According to Papa Pal FAQs, the initial screening process will take 48 business hours. Then the company will begin the background check, which could take up to a week.
Papa Pals are considered 1099 independent contractors, not W-2 employees. Fill out the Papa Pal application form online to start the screening process.
“Today, something like 30 million people are unemployed because of COVID, and Papa Pal is a good opportunity,” Parker said. “Papa’s demand side is growing quite rapidly. If you want to go and apply on JoinPapa.com, I highly encourage you to do so.”
This was originally published on The Penny Hoarder, a personal finance website that empowers millions of readers nationwide to make smart decisions with their money through actionable and inspirational advice, and resources about how to make, save and manage money.
This was originally published on The Penny Hoarder, which helps millions of readers worldwide earn and save money by sharing unique job opportunities, personal stories, freebies and more. The Inc. 5000 ranked The Penny Hoarder as the fastest-growing private media company in the U.S. in 2017.